You use double to indicate that something includes or is made of two things of the same kind.
...a pair of double doors into the room from the new entrance hall.
...a lone skier gliding along smooth double tracks.
You use double before a singular noun to refer to two things of the same type that occur together, or that are connected in some way.
...an extremely nasty double murder...
The government committed a double blunder...
If something is double the amount or size of another thing, it is twice as large.
The offer was to start a new research laboratory at double the salary he was then getting...
Leeds Prison is reported to have almost double the number of prisoners it's designed to accommodate.
You use double to describe something which is twice the normal size or can hold twice the normal quantity of something.
...a double helping of ice cream.
...a large double garage...
A double room is a room intended for two people, usually a couple, to stay or live in.
...bed and breakfast for ￡180 for two people in a double room.
A double bed is a bed that is wide enough for two people to sleep in.
You use double to describe a drink that is twice the normal measure.
He was drinking his double whiskey too fast and scowling.
Double is used when you are spelling a word or telling someone a number to show that a letter or digit is repeated.
Ring four two double two double two if you'd like to speak to our financial adviser.
When something doubles or when you double it, it becomes twice as great in number, amount, or size.
The number of managers must double to 100 within 3 years...
The program will double the amount of money available to help pay for child care.
If you refer to someone as a person's double, you mean that they look exactly like them.
Your mother sees you as her double.
If a person or thing doubles as someone or something else, they have a second job or purpose as well as their main one.
...a farmer who doubles as a night nurse...
Lots of homes in town double as businesses.
In tennis or badminton, when people play doubles, two teams consisting of two players on each team play against each other on the same court.
If you do something at the double or on the double, you do it very quickly or immediately.
Two soldiers entered at the double and saluted...
Come to my office, please, at the double.
When you bend double, you bend the top half of your body downwards a long way.
There wasn't room to stand up and he had to bend double.
If you are bent double, the top half of your body is bent downwards so that your head is close to your knees.
Pickers are bent double, plucking each flower with lightning speed.
If you are seeing double, there is something wrong with your eyes, and you can see two images instead of one.
I was dizzy, seeing double.
1. a base hit on which the batter stops safely at second base;"he hit a double to deep centerfield"
2. a stand-in for movie stars to perform dangerous stunts;"his first job in Hollywood was as a double for Clark Gable"
3. someone who closely resembles a famous person (especially an actor);"he could be Gingrich's double""she's the very image of her mother"
4. a quantity that is twice as great as another;"36 is the double of 18"
5. raising the stakes in a card game by a factor of 2;"I decided his double was a bluff"
1. increase twofold;"The population doubled within 50 years"
2. hit a two-base hit
3. bend over or curl up, usually with laughter or pain;"He doubled and vomited violently"
4. do double duty; serve two purposes or have two functions;"She doubles as his wife and secretary"
5. bridge: make a demand for (a card or suit)
6. make or do or perform again;"He could never replicate his brilliant performance of the magic trick"
1. having more than one decidedly dissimilar aspects or qualities;"a double (or dual) role for an actor""the office of a clergyman is twofold; public preaching and private influence"- R.W.Emerson"every episode has its double and treble meaning"-Frederick Harrison
2. consisting of or involving two parts or components usually in pairs;"an egg with a double yolk""a double (binary) star""double doors""dual controls for pilot and copilot""duple (or double) time consists of two (or a multiple of two) beats to a measure"
3. twice as great or many;"ate a double portion""the dose is doubled""a twofold increase"
4. used of flowers having more than the usual number of petals in crowded or overlapping arrangements;"double chrysanthemums have many rows of petals and are usually spherical or hemispherical"
5. used of homologous chromosomes associated in pairs in synapsis
6. large enough for two;"a double bed""a double room"
7. having two meanings with intent to deceive;"a sly double meaning""spoke with forked tongue"
1. downward and forward;"he was bent double with pain"
2. two together;"some people sleep better double"
3. to double the degree;"she was doubly rewarded""his eyes were double bright"